Wednesday, July 10, 2013

"Hey, I put some new shoes on and suddenly everything is right."

Some weeks, I would like to dedicate my blog to "cultural trends" that I discover while in China. Mostly because they're so different than what I'm used to, and because I think they're worth sharing. Today, let's talk about shoes. 

Chinese women love their shoes. I have serious respect for the women I see riding their bikes around Beijing in heels. I haven't even ridden a bike to class yet because I'm afraid of getting run over by a crazy taxi driver, let alone in heels. So, my hat goes off to them for somehow making riding a bike through the rain, smog, or sun and the humidity look some version of classy. 

Now, try to imagine a shoe that you wouldn't think could actually exist in real life. Six inch red velvet platform shoes? Toe-less steel-toed boots? 5 inch platform flip flops? Whatever you came up with, chances are someone in China has made a pair of them. You may spot them on the subway, at the Forbidden Palace, or just walking down the street.



Thanks to Liz for having my back and finding these in a store window! 

...And if you're lucky, you might even see some dogs wearing four little Converse sneakers! 



In honor of the rainy week we've been having, I'll leave you with a sight you see often in China. A bike is not being used to its full potential if there's only one person on it. And, on a rainy day like today, what better way to still get some umbrella coverage? 

Walking towards the South Gate at Tsinghua


No comments:

Post a Comment